Friday, March 4, 2011

Eyebrows

     The shape of eyebrows as a topic of conversation has become a little obsessive between my group of friends. My natural brows being mostly invisible, I envy my friend who needs to merely pluck out what she doesn't want, while I have to color in what I do want. How do we choose the shape? Videos on youtube tell me I should hold a pencil up to my nose and measure out angles, but I just want to gather inspiration from silent film stars and color mine in with emotion and vulnerability. Check out how they all start high and slope down.

Corinne Griffith in Six Days, 1923

Helen Twelvetrees, 1929


Barbara La Marr, 1925

Clara Bow, 1928

Mary Astor in Don Juan, 1926

Pola Negri in Woman of the World, 1925

Norma Talmadge, 1927

All pictures are from Grand Illusions and A World Of Movies, both by Richard Lawton.

No comments:

Post a Comment